Stopovers: Canada, Toronto (Air Canada (AC)) | Finland, Helsinki (Finnair (AY) | Iceland, Reykjavik (Icelandair (FI) | Iceland, Reykjavik (WOW Air (WW) | Panama, Panama City (Copa Airlines (CM) | Portugal, Azores (Azores Airlines (S4)) | Portugal Stopover (Lisbon, Porto) (TAP Portugal (TP)) | Singapore (Singapore Airlines (SQ)) | Turkey, Istanbul (Turkish Airlines (TK) | United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi (Etihad (EY))
Portugal Stopover (Lisbon and Porto) On TAP Portugal (TP)
What is Portugal Stopover?
The Portugal Stopover by TAP Portugal allows you to stopover in Portugal for anywhere from 24 to 48 to 72 hours enroute to another TAP destination. On TAP’s Web site, they state:
“on long-haul flights to/from the USA, Brazil, Africa and Europe (except Portugal).”
This means that as long as you are passing through Portugal (Lisbon (LIS) or Porto (OPO)) on one of their flights from any of the countries/regions listed above using their airplanes and not a codeshared partner, you are eligible for a free stopover.
As an example, if I’m going from Boston, MA (BOS) to say Toulouse, France, I tell the online booking tool, my departure and arrival dates, where I’d like to stopover (Lisbon or Porto), whether I’d like to stopover on the outbound or the return and the length of my stopover (1, 2 or 3 days). It then calculate the airfare for the entire trip including hotels and give me a price with the applicable flights.
This only works if you are booking a round trip flight and you can only stopover on one leg of the journey; i.e. either to your final destination or when returning to your origin.
To help you make the most of your stopover, they’ve partnered with local hotels and attractions who will either give you free or discounted services. And if you dine at a partner restaurant, you get a free bottle of wine with your meal. Which is a fantastic deal in Portugal since they have some really good wines.
There’s even an Events sections so you can plan your trip around several local events; and there are plenty to choose from at different times of the year. As if that was not enough, head over to the Cellars of Real Companhia Velha in Porto for some wine tasting as well.
There is a current deal with the Museum of Art, Architecture and Technology which offers a free ticket. Just show the App with your stopover information and you’re good to go. Get details here.
They’ve also created an App (Portugal Stopover on Android and iOS) to help you navigate Portugal. If you have a reservation setup already, use your confirmation number and last name to get started. Otherwise, you can explore the App without it.
First you choose whether you want to explore Lisbon or Porto. Then choose how you want to explore the city through: Food, Culture, Parks, Nightlife, Shopping or Sightseeing. They also help you by giving you ideas for one or two days guiding you by the times of day.
One trip Discovering Lisboa (Lisbon) started at 9:30a and went for 12 hours covering 6.4km. It starts in Rossio and ends in Bairro Alto giving you a full taste of the city in between.
They’ve really done an excellent job on the App. Of course you don’t have to use the itinerary, you can just do what you want as long as you are back on your flight on time.
The App also gives you weather information, time zone information and a Portuguese lesson. Plus information on airport transfers to the city from the local bus to renting a car. There’s even a map of Lisbon and Porto just for you.
Start your booking now and explore the different facets of this stopover offer.
Things to Note
- Baggage Policy
- Fleet – Airbus A319-100, A320-200, A321-200, A330-200, A330-900neo and A340-300. TAP Express flies the Embraer 190 and ATR 72-600.
- Frequent Flyer Information – The program is called Victoria with three levels. TAP Portugal is a Star Alliance member so that means you can earn miles in any of the partner programs while flying TAP Portugal. You should ensure that you check the fare bucket for your ticket to see what percentage of the allotted miles for the journey you will receive.
- Here is a list of the Star Alliance partners: Aegean Airlines (A3), Adria Airways (JP), Air Canada (AC), Air China (CA), Air India (AI), Air New Zealand (NZ), ANA (NH), Asiana Airlines (OZ), Austrian (OS), Avianca (AV), brussels airlines (SN), Copa Airlines (CM), Croatia Airlines (OU), Egyptair (MS), Ethiopian Airlines (ET), EVA Air (BR), LOT Polish (LO), Lufthansa (LH), SAS (SK), Shenzhen Airlines (ZH), Singapore Airlines (SQ), South African Airways (SA), Swiss (LX), Thai Airways (TG), Turkish Airlines (TK) and United Airlines (UA)
- Here is a list of the other partners: AZUL (AD), Emirates (EK), GOL (G3), Sata (SP) and Ukraine Airlines (PS)
- Visa Requirements – No visa required for U.S. citizens. You can find additional information here. Other citizens check with your local consulates.
Destinations Served By TAP Portugal
TAP Portugal has a network of destinations that is worldwide. This is a combination of flights flown on TAP Portugal’s airplanes as well as that of its codeshare partners. TAP Portugal is a member of Star Alliance, so in the U.S., its primary Star Alliance partner is United Airlines. They also have a partnership with AZUL Brasil and JetBlue.
Destinations served to/from the the U.S. using TAP’s airplanes to/from Lisbon, Portugal (LIS)
- Boston, MA (BOS)
- Miami, FL (MIA)
- New York-JFK, NY USA (JFK)
- Newark-Liberty, NJ USA (EWR)